The collection consists of bound volumes and loose programs containing announcements, programs, and invitations to Drexel events. The bulk of the events represented in the collection were sponsored by the Department of Free Public Lectures and Concerts, which served the school founder A.J. Drexel's desire to "provide a liberal means of culture for the masses." Free lectures and concerts at the Drexel Institute began during the school's first year of operation in 1892. They were offered during the winter months and open to the general public until the abolishment of the department in 1915. Other events were held by the Department of Fine and Applied Art, which was established in 1892; reached its zenith under the tenure of Howard Pyle, who headed its School of Illustration from 1894 through 1900; and was discontinued, with the exception of the course in architecture, in 1905. The collection also contains programs of commencement ceremonies, the first of which was held in 1894; a program from the dedication of the institute in 1892; and invitations to an 1894 memorial service for institute founder Anthony J. Drexel. Most of the programs date from the first twenty years of the operation of the institute, but the collection also contains a few programs and announcements from as late as the 1960s.
The Department of Social Sciences became part of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences when the college was established in 1970. Prior to 1970, the department had been a sponsor of the Humanities and Technology Program, an undergraduate honors program with a flexible, interdisciplinary curriculum. Stanley Wasson joined the faculty as an associate professor of history in 1960, became the chair of the department of social sciences in 1968, and served as chairman until 1975. The collection consists of correspondence between the department chairman and faculty; minutes of department meetings; financial records; files on scheduling and testing; and a set of records of the Humanities and Technology Program.
Honors Day is an annual event sponsored by several of Drexel's colleges and schools to recognize students for high academic performance. This collection consists chiefly of programs from Nesbitt College's Honors Day ceremonies from 1970 to 1997. The programs list academic award recipients, members of honor societies such as Omicron Nu and Phi Kappa Phi, and Dean's List members. The collection also includes a list of Dean's List members from the College of Home Economics from 1968.
Drexel's Graduate School of Library Science (later the College of Information Science and Technology) was founded as the Library and Reading Room during the Drexel Institute's first year of operation in 1892. It was closed by President Hollis Godfrey in 1914 and reopened as the School of Library Science in 1922. This collection consists of two alphabetical sets of index cards containing information about graduates of the library school from the 1890s to the early 1970s. Each card contains an alumnus's address, initial job placement, and subsequent jobs held. The cards are arranged in two alphabetical sets: one from 1895 to 1914, and the other from 1924 to 1973.
The department of mechanical engineering began granting degrees in 1914. Its first department head, J. Harland Billings, was appointed in 1918. It became the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics in 1975. The collection includes correspondence, faculty meeting minutes, brochures detailing policies and guidelines for students, and a brief set of event files. A large portion of the collection consists of personnel records of department staff.