Early library records, 1891-1947

added on Sun, 03/29/2009 - 18:03

The library and reading room of the Drexel Institute of Art, Science, and Industry opened in 1892 under the direction of librarian Alice B. Kroeger. Within its first year of operation, it had built a collection of nearly eight thousand volumes, chiefly through gifts and donations from Anthony J. Drexel and his business partner, George W. Childs. The Drexel Institute library was also responsible for running the library school, which by 1900 was enrolling twenty students per year. This collection consists of the minutes of the Trustees' Committee on the Library from 1892 to 1917; accession and inventory books listing items received and withdrawn from the collection, 1891-1947; library circulation statistics, 1891-1923, and card catalogs. It also includes a brief series of correspondence by library director Anne Wallace Howland, 1923-1930.

Programs and invitations collection, 1892-1965 (bulk 1892-1915)

added on Sun, 03/29/2009 - 17:56

The collection consists of bound volumes and loose programs containing announcements, programs, and invitations to Drexel events. The bulk of the events represented in the collection were sponsored by the Department of Free Public Lectures and Concerts, which served the school founder A.J. Drexel's desire to "provide a liberal means of culture for the masses." Free lectures and concerts at the Drexel Institute began during the school's first year of operation in 1892. They were offered during the winter months and open to the general public until the abolishment of the department in 1915. Other events were held by the Department of Fine and Applied Art, which was established in 1892; reached its zenith under the tenure of Howard Pyle, who headed its School of Illustration from 1894 through 1900; and was discontinued, with the exception of the course in architecture, in 1905. The collection also contains programs of commencement ceremonies, the first of which was held in 1894; a program from the dedication of the institute in 1892; and invitations to an 1894 memorial service for institute founder Anthony J. Drexel. Most of the programs date from the first twenty years of the operation of the institute, but the collection also contains a few programs and announcements from as late as the 1960s.

Graduate School of Library Science Placement Office alumni cards, 1895-1973

Drexel's Graduate School of Library Science (later the College of Information Science and Technology) was founded as the Library and Reading Room during the Drexel Institute's first year of operation in 1892. It was closed by President Hollis Godfrey in 1914 and reopened as the School of Library Science in 1922. This collection consists of two alphabetical sets of index cards containing information about graduates of the library school from the 1890s to the early 1970s. Each card contains an alumnus's address, initial job placement, and subsequent jobs held. The cards are arranged in two alphabetical sets: one from 1895 to 1914, and the other from 1924 to 1973.

Commencement collection, 1894-2005

UR 6.9 Commencement collection, 1894-2005, 3.33 cubic feet Drexel celebrated its first school-wide commencement in 1894.  The collection includes programs, invitations, correspondence, speeches, and rosters related to commencement ceremonies at Drexel University and its predescessor institutions.  Records are arranged chronologically by date. This collection is partially processed.  A preliminary inventory list is available in the archives; contact the archivist at archives@drexel.edu for more information.

Financial records, 1892-2001

This collection consists of financial records, including ledgers, account books and account balance worksheets, year-to-year spending comparisons, and annual financial reports, found among the collection in the Drexel University Archives. It includes ledgers dating from the founding of the Institute in 1892 through 1916. The provenance of the collection is unknown, and information about the creation of these documents and their transfer to the archives is unavailable.

Deeds of trust, charter, and bylaws, 1894-1977

This collection consists of booklets containing copies of documents such as the charter (with which the Drexel Institute was incorporated), bylaws (which governs the Board of Trustees), deeds of trust (granting land and money to the institute), and extracts from the will of Anthony J. Drexel. Early booklets also list the names of board members and committees. Also included with the collection is a small set of legal documents pertaining to the 1943 transfer of the securities granted by Anthony Drexel to the institute's endowment fund.

Board of Trustees and Executive Committee records, 1891-2005

The Board of Trustees of the Drexel Institute was established in 1891 with the school's founder, Anthony J. Drexel, as its president and his business partner, George W. Childs, as vice president. The institute was also governed by a separate Board of Managers, which merged with the existing board into a twenty-four member Board of Trustees when Drexel was incorporated in 1894. The Executive Committee was formed at the time of incorporation as a six-person standing committee entrusted with "the general charge and supervision of all the business of the institute." This collection consists chiefly of the minutes of meetings of the Board of Trustees, the Board of Managers, and the Executive Committee from 1891 to 1995. It also contains reports and correspondence of the secretary of the board from 1896-1915, trustees' and executive committee "board books" from 1985-1989 and 2000-2005, and a small set of administrative records, chiefly from the 1980s.

Syndicate content

:) Copyright © 2014 Drexel University  |   Privacy Policy