The library and reading room of the Drexel Institute of Art, Science, and Industry opened in 1892 under the direction of librarian Alice B. Kroeger. Within its first year of operation, it had built a collection of nearly eight thousand volumes, chiefly through gifts and donations from Anthony J. Drexel and his business partner, George W. Childs. The Drexel Institute library was also responsible for running the library school, which by 1900 was enrolling twenty students per year. This collection consists of the minutes of the Trustees' Committee on the Library from 1892 to 1917; accession and inventory books listing items received and withdrawn from the collection, 1891-1947; library circulation statistics, 1891-1923, and card catalogs. It also includes a brief series of correspondence by library director Anne Wallace Howland, 1923-1930.
The collection consists of newspaper clippings, press releases, programs, statistics, and photographs. Materials are all interfiled chronologically; for some years, they have been compiled into scrapbooks.
The collection consists of a small set of newspaper clippings from 1983 to 1986.
In 1984, the Board of Trustees charged Drexel's president, William Gaither, with developing a long-range strategic plan for the next ten years. This collection consists of drafts of the long-range planning report presented to the Board of Trustees in July 1985 and September 1985 and 1986, and in September 1987. It also includes preliminary drafts, planning criteria, reports prepared by individual colleges and administrative offices, and reports on particular areas such as research and academic programs. Included with the collection are some additional facilities planning documents from the College of Engineering that resulted from the long-range planning activities and a proposal to establish the Center for Automation Technology.