The collection consists of newspaper clippings, press releases, match programs, score books, brochures, and photos, photographic negatives, and contact sheets. Materials are currently interfiled chronologically.
Tau Beta Pi, a national honorary fraternity for engineering students, was founded at Lehigh University in 1885. Drexel's chapter, the Pennsylvania Zeta chapter, was established in 1930. This collection documents the chapter's activities and members from its founding through 1987. It includes administrative materials such as the Tau Beta Pi bylaws, the Pennsylvania Zeta chapter charter, and publications and catalogs from the national office. The bulk of the collection consists of chronological files that document the year-by-year activities of Drexel's chapter; these files contain correspondence, surveys submitted to the national office, and records of projects sponsored in that year. In addition, there is a set of index cards listing the names of Tau Beta Pi members, as well as a few un-awarded membership certificates and keys.
When founded in 1891, what is now Drexel University was named the Drexel Institute of Art, Science, and Industry. In 1933, the administration began to consider a change of name to Drexel Institute of Technology. A statement from A.J. Drexel Paul, then president of the Board of Trustees, states that "[t]he original name…was felt to be no longer accurate as a description of the fully accredited, professional college which Drexel has become in the last twenty years. For this reason a strong desire became manifest for the adoption of a name of modern academic significance, which would indicate the present status of the education offered at Drexel." A trustees' ad hoc committee was established to examine a possible name change, and in 1934 this committee conducted a survey of alumni and faculty asking whether they preferred the old name or a change to Drexel Institute of Technology. According to Paul's statement, "[t]he vote recorded a majority of more than three to one in favor of such a change on the part of both alumni and faculty." The name of the Institute was officially changed to Drexel Institute of Technology on March 30, 1936. This collection consists of postcards containing the responses received from the alumni and faculty surveyed regarding the name change. Each card contains an alumnus's name and address and their preference of name.
The Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools certifies educational institutions to grant degrees and diplomas. The collection consists of preliminary and final reports to the Middle States Association; research materials gathered in the preparation of these reports; and the records of the working groups established during the self-study. The bulk of the records are from the re-accreditation that took place during the 1990s.
The Drexel Women's Club was founded in 1927 by the wife of Drexel's president, Kenneth G. Matheson. Membership was opened to female faculty and staff as well as the wives of faculty and administrators. To fulfill its stated purpose of "promot[ing] good fellowship and to further the interests of the Institute in every way possible," the Women's Club began to offer student loans, scholarships, and awards. In 1942, the club began to publish the Drexel News Letter, a publication sent to Drexel men serving in the armed forces during World War II, with news about happenings at Drexel and from its readers. The Women's Club has also sponsored card parties, plays, teas, and other benefit events such as fundraisers for its scholarship and loan funds. Records in the collection include the club's constitution, financial records, minutes, membership rosters, annual reports, subject files on events sponsored by the Women's Club, newsletters, and a history of the club written in 1947.
LeRoy A. Brothers was dean of the College of Engineering from 1958 to 1970. Born in Wilmington, North Carolina, he studied civil engineering at North Carolina State College and joined Drexel's faculty as a professor of civil engineering in 1927. He left Drexel in 1942 to serve in the U. S. Air Force, and in 1944 he became chief of operations analysis for the war in south and east Asia. He left Drexel altogether in 1945, and in 1946 he became Assistant for Operations at the U. S. Air Force headquarters in Washington. After returning to Drexel as dean in 1958, he served briefly as acting dean of faculty in 1961 and 1962. The bulk of the records in the collection are files on academic departments and committees documenting the administration of the College of Engineering and Science from 1961 to 1965. One box of material consists entirely of records of the American Society for Engineering Education's (ASEA) Engineering College Administrative Council (ECAC) Committee for the Analysis of Engineering Enrollment.
The College of Business and Administration was established as the Business Department when the Drexel Insitute of Art, Science, and Industry. The school was renamed the School of Business Administration in 1922 (later the College of Business Administration in 1945) and began granting bachelor's degrees in 1923. The MBA program was established in 1949. The college was first accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) in 1966 (for its undergraduate program) and in 1976 (for its MBA). A PhD program was launched in 1980. The bulk of this collection consists of the 1966 application for AACSB accreditation and reports prepared for reaccreditation in 1986. It also includes an earlier AACSB application, annual reports from the dean to Drexel's president from 1978 to 1981; a strategic plan from the 1980s; a report on the founding of the PhD program; and MBA and PhD curricular materials.
The Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) was an initiative to send academically talented soldiers and new enlistees to college in preparation for officer training. Many colleges around the country, including Drexel and a number of other colleges suffering from reduced enrollments during the war, offered accelerated courses in the sciences, medicine, dentistry, and languages. Drexel's program, directed by physics professor M. Russell Wehr, appears to have enrolled approximately 310 students. The program was almost completely shut down nationwide in early 1944, when the Army sent most of its enrolled men into active duty. This collection consists mostly of lists of participants and their scores on standardized tests administered to program participants from July 1943 to March 1944. It also includes some correspondence with AST headquarters, statistics on Drexel students' test performance, and journal articles about ASTP.