LeRoy A. Brothers was dean of the College of Engineering from 1958 to 1970. Born in Wilmington, North Carolina, he studied civil engineering at North Carolina State College and joined Drexel's faculty as a professor of civil engineering in 1927. He left Drexel in 1942 to serve in the U. S. Air Force, and in 1944 he became chief of operations analysis for the war in south and east Asia. He left Drexel altogether in 1945, and in 1946 he became Assistant for Operations at the U. S. Air Force headquarters in Washington. After returning to Drexel as dean in 1958, he served briefly as acting dean of faculty in 1961 and 1962. The bulk of the records in the collection are files on academic departments and committees documenting the administration of the College of Engineering and Science from 1961 to 1965. One box of material consists entirely of records of the American Society for Engineering Education's (ASEA) Engineering College Administrative Council (ECAC) Committee for the Analysis of Engineering Enrollment.
The College of Business and Administration was established as the Business Department when the Drexel Insitute of Art, Science, and Industry. The school was renamed the School of Business Administration in 1922 (later the College of Business Administration in 1945) and began granting bachelor's degrees in 1923. The MBA program was established in 1949. The college was first accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) in 1966 (for its undergraduate program) and in 1976 (for its MBA). A PhD program was launched in 1980. The bulk of this collection consists of the 1966 application for AACSB accreditation and reports prepared for reaccreditation in 1986. It also includes an earlier AACSB application, annual reports from the dean to Drexel's president from 1978 to 1981; a strategic plan from the 1980s; a report on the founding of the PhD program; and MBA and PhD curricular materials.
The Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) was an initiative to send academically talented soldiers and new enlistees to college in preparation for officer training. Many colleges around the country, including Drexel and a number of other colleges suffering from reduced enrollments during the war, offered accelerated courses in the sciences, medicine, dentistry, and languages. Drexel's program, directed by physics professor M. Russell Wehr, appears to have enrolled approximately 310 students. The program was almost completely shut down nationwide in early 1944, when the Army sent most of its enrolled men into active duty. This collection consists mostly of lists of participants and their scores on standardized tests administered to program participants from July 1943 to March 1944. It also includes some correspondence with AST headquarters, statistics on Drexel students' test performance, and journal articles about ASTP.
This collection consists of quarterly reports produced by the Office of Research Administration. The reports summarize external funding received in the form of grants, research support, or contracted services provided by the university. They also list individual grant applications by faculty members and academic departments. Also included with the collection is a manual for the Office of Research Administration and a grant application to the National Science Foundation requesting support for building its research program.
The bulk of this collection is annual reports from the 1960s and 1970s submitted by the director of graduate placement to the Office of University Relations (the department in charge of the Office of Graduate Placement, later known as the Placement Services Center). The reports contain summarized data on students placed, starting salaries, employers of Drexel graduates, and students going on to graduate school. The collection also contains a newsletter published by the Placement Services Center from 1979 and1983-1985, as well as information booklets about the Placement Services Center for the classes of 1977 to 1981.
In 1970, the Office of Community Affairs took on responsibility for government affairs efforts and became the Office of Government and Community Affairs. Government affairs staff lobbied in Washington, D.C., and Harrisburg, Pa., with the goal of increasing government funding for research, securing state aid, and generally raising the profile of the university locally, nationally, and internationally. In 1985, government affairs functions were moved to the Office of University Relations. This collection consists of subject files compiled by government relations staff from 1981 to 1996. It contains files on particular legislators documenting lobbying activities, on individual bills and laws, and on state and federal aid, as well as reports on and proposals for public funding for higher education.